Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Kim's Textbook Question

Chapter 2.3
Problem Solving With Rational Numbers in Fraction Form

18. One ninth of the height of an iceberg was above the surface of the water. The iceberg extended to a depth of 75.8 m below the surface. What was the height of the iceberg above the surface? Express your answer to the nearest tenth of a meter.

Here's how I solved this question.










First, since we need to find out what one ninth of the iceberg is then the 75.8 would be the rest of the whole which is eight ninths.











You can get 1/9 if you divide 8/9 by 8 so when I divided 75.8 by 8 I got 9.475 but when you simplify it, it would be 9.5m.

The height of the iceberg above the surface is 9.5m.

4 comments:

  1. Great post Kim. I like how you added pictures and explaned your work.It was well organized and easy to understand. I also like how you made some of the words bold to make them stand out more but in my opinion, I think you should've also made the answer bold aswell. But overall, it was a good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Kim! I like how you added pictures to your post. Ur was very organized. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Kim! I really liked that you used pictures in your post. Though one thing didn't make any sense to me for example at the end
    "You can get 1/9 if you divide 8/9 by 8 so when I divided 75.8 by 8 I got 9.475 but when you simplify it, it would be 9.5m."
    By simplify do you mean by rounding up or down?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Job Kim. Your blog is very neat ans easy to read. I like your pictures and I like how you bolded important words. The only thing I suggest is to space out the blog more. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete